You’ve done your research and realize that attending the Natural Disaster & Emergency Management (NDEM) Expo on November 16-17 at the Javits Center in NYC, will help you learn, develop, and advance in your career. Now all you have to do is convince your boss the same!
Focus on how attending NDEM Expo will be beneficial and provide value beyond your day-to day responsibilities, and keep it short, powerful, and organization- or team-focused. Below are a few resources to help convince your boss:
- 5 Tips to Make it Happen
- Why Attend?
- Sample Letter to Management
5 Tips to Make it Happen:
When crafting your plan, think about the bottom line: Why should the organization budget for your trip to NDEM Expo and what's the return on the investment?
- Determine the value: Show your boss specifics on how your attendance will impact current projects, inspire knowledge, and eliminate obstacles.
- Be solutions driven: What issues pop up again and again? List out exhibitors who can provide the solutions your organization’s needs.
- Inspire your team! Make a list of all the educational sessions you’ll be attending along with their titles, descriptions, speaker highlights, and actionable takeaways.
- Provide a post-event rundown: Offer to deliver a short presentation or write up on your key takeaways.
- Plan for your absence: Whether it’s working ahead or tapping a colleague to help, explain how your time away will be covered.
- NDEM Expo Education: The NDEM Expo education program will include interactive sessions endorsed by the National Center for Disaster Preparedness (NCDP), Columbia Climate School, at Columbia University, the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) and SBP, and will provide actionable tools and strategies to safeguard your assets and community.
- Networking Opportunities: Meet your peers and join conversations with leaders and key decision makers in business continuity and emergency management.
- Unique Exhibitor List: Discover technology, tools, and services that will help your organization respond faster and more effectively throughout each phase of emergency management.
- Discounted Hotel & Travel Rates: Through the travel experts at Connections Housing, NDEM Expo as negotiated travel discounts and secured a limited number of reduced-rate hotel rooms to make your trip to New York more affordable!
- Co-Location with ISC East: NDEM Expo will be co-locating again with ISC East, the Northeast’s largest security & public safety event, and qualified professionals who register for NDEM Expo will be granted access to both events. Two events for the price of one!
Sample Letter to Management
Download a sample letter to use as a starting point while conveying the importance of NDEM Expo to your boss.